"Life is not about surviving the storm; it's about how you danced in the rain." ~ author unknown

Oct 25, 2009

Snapping Turtle - Part I

"That this miracle of life, this reproduction - birth, occurs innumerable times every day and has for thousands and even millions of years, does not make it any less of a miracle each unique time, but even more of one."
I was walking down my driveway a few months back, coming home from my morning walk with Missy. As I got down to the bottom fork I was met by my neighbor driving out in his truck. He stopped for a second, stuck his head out the window of the truck and said, “The turtle was back yesterday.”

“Oh my goodness,” I responded, thrilled to hear the news even though I did not witness the sighting. “I can’t believe a year has passed. It’s been one year to the day! This is great, we get another chance!” The countdown begins again.

The first sighting of this turtle, whom we are assuming is the same one, was last year in 2008. It was June 15th. I remember the date because I had made a conscience effort to do so. I made a mental note of it at the time so that I could track the progress and start the countdown. This is how that day begun.

As mentioned, June 15th 2008, I was walking my dog in the early morning. It was the beginning of our walk and it was a beautiful warm morning. When we got to the top of our driveway at the road, we turned right to go onto the grassy area between the mailboxes and the stonewall there, alongside the road. Right next to the last mailbox, on the grass just inches from the road, something catches my eye. Surprisingly, Missy either does not see it or just doesn’t care. Her eyesight doesn’t seem to be all that great and I wonder if she thinks it’s a rock. I am stunned. I just cannot believe what I am seeing. I have never, ever witnessed anything like this.

I see this big snapping turtle, (yes, I’ve seen turtles – but wait, there’s more) probably a bit smaller than a dinner plate – about 8”- 10” in diameter I’d say. I’m wondering why she is not moving after seeing me. I come up to her and am about 1 foot away now. I’m careful to keep Missy at bay, (I picture her going to sniff and getting her nose bitten by this turtle – who could probably take a finger off) although she still isn’t interested. Upon closer examination it becomes clear to me why the turtle is not moving. She is straddling over this hole in the ground. The hole is about 5 to 6 inches around and I can see 2 mounds of dirt on either side of it that have been dug out from it. This mama turtle is laying her eggs there. Amazing! I go and tie Missy’s leash around the wire fence nearby and go back to watch. As I stand behind the turtle I see the eggs dropping out. I stayed and watched until she was done. I counted 13 eggs in about 20 minutes. The eggs are off white in color, round and smooth, and a bit smaller than a golf ball. After every 2 or 3 eggs the turtle reaches down – in slow motion like – with her rear leg (foot?) and, although I can’t see into the hole and so I can’t see the eggs after they have been dropped down there, I realize she is moving the eggs around to make room for more. I can’t believe I get to stand here and watch all of this. How lucky am I? (I have never even seen this on Discovery, although I’m sure it’s been documented.) When all her eggs have been laid and moved and situated just so, she begins to bury them. I am surprised to see that she doesn’t use any of the dirt that came out of the hole – the 2 mounds on either side – but rather she seems to be taking dirt from the sides of the hole. She stops every few seconds and packs it down. All of this is done with only her 2 rear legs.

I finally have to tear myself away because Missy still needs her morning walk, which I cut short. When I come back, the turtle is gone. There is still a little indent where the hole was and where the eggs now lay underground. Of course, I run home and Google snapping turtles to learn when I should expect the eggs to hatch, etc. I learn that the turtle will lay between 20 – 40 eggs and that it will take about 75 to 110 days before they hatch. The colder it is the longer it will take. I note the date – June 15th. The countdown begins. My immediate neighbors, Terry and Jack, had seen the turtle digging the hole at the beginning of their walk and I told my other neighbor (there are 3 homes down my common driveway, which forks at the bottom) Art all about it. I’m figuring October 5th is the drop dead date, although secretly I’m giving it until the 10th or so. (15th?) And now ---- we wait!

So, here are some little known (well little known to me until I Googled it) turtle facts for you to ponder – you know, while we wait. Well, we already know how many eggs and how long it takes for them to incubate, as mentioned above. Further, I have learned that the female turtle will just lay her eggs and will never, ever go back to check on them. She will never know if they hatched or not. She did her job, now she is done! The female turtle will walk a long way – well away from her habitat (pond, lake, etc) to lay her eggs. I guess there are more predators around the habitat area so being further away will give them a better chance of survival. The survival rate is very low for these poor little guys, which is why so many eggs are laid.

Well, October 5th of last year came and went and so did the 10th (and the 15th!) We were all pretty disappointed that no turtles were born. (Do you say they are “born” or do you say they hatched?) But as the year progressed, all was forgotten. (Not really, though.) And now that brings us to this past June 15th, a year later, when Art stopped in his truck to tell me the turtle was back.

Well, I ran into Art up at the mailboxes about a month ago around September 20th or so and I commented, (well, whined really) “No turtles?! No turtles, Art – No Turtles Arthur!” I complained, as if it was all his fault. He was responsible this year because he was the witness and so, the keeper – the guardian! (I guess last year it was my fault.) Although there was still time – it was only 9/20 - for some reason we were all skeptical and had been all along (I guess because last year’s batch didn’t take) and although we were disappointed by the non-event, we weren’t surprised. Maybe again next year? (Perhaps, still, in the next few weeks? I’m not giving up!)

Really though, I gotta say, I wasn’t disappointed at all. I still can’t believe I got to see a turtle lay her eggs!! I mean, how cool is that? Well, it’s very cool in my book. I never ever in my life would have thought or believed that I would see a turtle lay eggs! That was just amazing to me and I still picture it clearly in my mind. (Sorry, no pics – just memory) I think that just, plain ole, just seeing a snapping turtle that day – period – was awesome and would have been “enough” to make my day, (remember though, just seeing a cat makes my day! What is wrong with me?) But then – oh my gosh – seeing her lay the eggs and getting to stand there and watch – well, that is like beyond double icing on the cake for me! Unbelievable. Disappointed? Certainly not. I feel privileged, honored and -- ok I'll say it - blessed - to have witnessed such a thing.

To be continued? I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment